Tuesday, February 20, 2007

We've got a problem...

Today when I went to pick up Taylor I was greeted with this phrase from Teresa...we've got a problem. I could only imagine what she was referring to and wondered what Taylor could have done. Seems that during her afternoon nap, Teresa heard knocking on the door of the room Taylor was sleeping in. Turns out our little monkey figured out how to get out of the playpen and was knocking on the door wanting to come out! I have been fearing this moment for some time now and had hoped to avoid it for a little longer. Taylor's always been an extremely mobile kid and even managed to get out (or shall I say fall out) of her crib this summer before we had a chance to completely lower the mattress. Now I'm a bit unsure about what to do next as I have no doubt that she could get out of her crib if she wanted to. Perhaps it's time to move to a bed...who knows how to get her stay in that though? Advice anyone?

On another note...here's a couple of pics of our crazy daughter posing for the camera.

Posted by Picasa

11 Comments:

At 9:03 PM, Blogger Greg said...

In our experience, we have so far found it best for the toddler to stay in a crib as long as possible. If a toddler can get out of her crib, it's okay as long as she can't hurt herself doing it. (So, she probably wouldn't hurt herself getting out of a playpen, but she might hurt herself getting out of a crib -- it's your call. It also depends on the other dangers in the room, ie. sharp corners from other furniture near the crib, etc.)

I think a crib is better until they're a little older, because like you said, it's would probably be hard to keep her in bed. I personally also think that a crib helps a child feel secure, even if she can get out.

I also like the idea of a bed a little later because at a younger age they're so busy, you're lucky if you can get them to nap, much less stop jumping out of bed and running around the room! So, part of the decision for me was sheer laziness at the prospect of putting our son back in bed a million times!

Our son could get out of his crib at quite a young age, but we just told him he had to wait for mommy or daddy to get him out, and so he really didn't get out on his own that often. If you don't have a tonne of other rules, it should be pretty easy for her to obey that one. I think it's easier for a child to stay in their crib than a bed because the rails are a physical reminder -- a little more a deterrent than just a flippant decision to hop out of bed!

And, I guess you already figured out the timeline for lowering the crib mattress, but for anyone else reading this, I read that the mattress should be lowered to the lowest position as soon as a baby can pull himself up and stand. You never know what can happen, and there's a first time for everything! So, I think for both our kids we lowered the mattresses by 6 or 7 months old. Seems a tad overprotective to be on the lowest position, but kids can climb up on blankets and toys to get over the edge. Plus, it's not really a hardship for tall people like us!

Good luck with your decision and/or rule enforcing!
-Jessica

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Alvin & Denise Engler said...

uh-oh. sounds like trouble. you know, i was *so* surprised to hear how early erin had her kids out of a crib... and without problems. for me, i just thought it made sense to keep them in there as long as possible. they get so much easier to reason with. i like jessica's idea of leaving her in the crib. perhaps you could just let the rail down so if she's going to crawl out, she doesn't hurt herself, but still there is a little bit of a "reminder" that its bedtime, and she belongs in bed?
-de

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger Greg said...

Thanks Denise. I forgot to add that we did lower the siderail so it was easier to crawl out when our son got a bit older. As you said, a rail is a nice little reminder to stay in bed.

And, Jolene, I have also heard of these mesh tents you can buy to cover the top of the crib, but I don't know anyone personally who has used them.

I also forgot to mention that you have to weigh which is more dangerous: possibly hurting herself climbing out, or being able to wander around her room and the house (if she can open doors) while you're sleeping.
-Jessica

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger that's us... said...

maybe you could tie her down to the bed somehow! (for all you mothers in complete fear of this comment i'm just joking!) i really don't know as i haven't had any type of experience in this area yet and as we measured yesterday brook doesn't have the great height of taylor- they should make taller playpens for taller kids- maybe check out one of those big & tall stores! he he! ok- i've got nothing but i'm sure we'll have fun figuring something out!

 
At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The big and tall store sounds like a fantastic idea!

 
At 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll leave all the advice to come from more recent Moms. I can hardly remember that far back. But I do remember that none of you kids ever crawled out of anything or on to anything. That trait Taylor must have inherited from the Willems'family! I just love the poses and the pigtails. I think she gets those mischievious looks from her Grandpa Bob.!

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Baker said...

I still say move her into a Big Girl bed. As long as she can't get out of her room and her room is safe, why wait? You're just delaying what you'll have to do later. So, you may find her sleeping on the floor, oh well. She'll learn that the bed is much more cofortable. Good luck with whatever you decide.

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger dandy said...

I have learned so much from all the comments everyone left... so far our little girl seems too lazy to try and climb out of her crib. but we are wondering when is a good time for the big girl bed. good luck with your little climber!

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Nez said...

Tranquilizers?

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Russ and Jolene said...

Update: Taylor has only gotten out of the playpen at daycare a couple more times and normally seems to be staying in. Suprisingly enough she has yet to get out of the crib. I thought for sure she would but luckily she seems to be staying put in there...for now anyways!

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger that's us... said...

today brook was trying to teach taylor to climb into the crib...now if they could get in on their own when they're tired but not get out it would be perfect!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home